11/13/2010

The first week

I have now been here a week and have fallen in love with the "Coolest Little Capital in the World". From being able to walk everywhere to the friendliness of the people, this is truly a place that I can see our little family settling.

Day 1 - The plane ride in was a very bumpy ride. And it is a well known fact how windy Wellington can get. Hopefully I won't have to endure that plane ride again. :). I finally managed to get to the apartment hotel at around 1am, and the keys were in the box as spelled out in my email.

I woke up at 10am on the Saturday morning, with two things in mind - activate the bank account and get a mobile number. The ANZ branch was literally one block down, and almost across the road I purchased my mobile number. What a simple process both of these were. What a welcome to the country. :)

I walked around the rest of the day, and noticed almost immediately how clean and organised everything was and how people could just walk around the city without a worry.

Day 2 - Sunday was much the same as Saturday with more walking around discovering this new place. I looked at two possible short-term rentals that would suit Lisa, Gabe and I until the end of January. The first of these was  a horrible little place, but the second was very neat and tidy.

During the day I went for a stroll along the waterfront as well as the famous Te Papa museum. These were both beautiful and will definitely be visited later on.

Day 3 - Monday was a business day. Searching...searching for a new place to stay. I was getting pretty despondent as I couldn't look at any further places as it was too late to organise a viewing for the same day, and I was getting no feedback from the place I had viewed on the Sunday. And being cramped up in the little studio apartment for the day did not help matters.

Day 4 - Tuesday, I was a tourist again. I had sorted out most of my stuff for the new accommodation, so it now I had to wait for the land lord to sort out their paperwork so I could sign. So what I decided to do was check out the botanical gardens. The gardens at Wellington are so beautiful and tranquil, but it was so weird to see how Wellingtonians spend their lunch breaks from work.

They were spread out through the gardens, or jogging, or walking along the waterfront. It was amazing to see.

Day 5 - The first work day...this was an overwhelming day to say the least! Being in a new country, with new processes, new people, and a new company, was a lot to take in. On top of the new company, I was whisked away to the client that I will be working at. Wow, it was crazy...But it was still nice to meet all the new faces and finally start earning some money after not working for 6 or so weeks.

Day 6 - Thursday I woke up feeling more positive, and it was a much better day. A lot more slower paced, which allowed me to come to terms with the new way of doings things a lot better. By the end of the day, it was pretty slow due to my work access not being granted yet.

Day 7 - It got a lot easier today. Work was less hectic, the paperwork was getting sorted out and finding it easier to talk to the people.

Since it was Friday, I decided that I would carry on our traditional Friday night take out, and thought Burger King would be a good place to try out. And it was good :). After that a nice walk on the waterfront was in order and it was different being able to be walking around between 6pm and 8pm, but the sky was still light and there were so many other people doing the same. This will definitely take some getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment